Thursday, February 5, 2009

Parker Update

Just an update on Parkers condition:

On Tuesday night I took Parker to the insta care because he had been having stomach pains for about three days that kept getting worse, even waking him up at night. When we got there, they checked him for a few different things, and couldn't find anything. Finally after testing for a bladder infection, which showed that he was dumping sugar, they did a blood test and decided that he had diabetes. We had to bring him to Primary Children's Hospital for a couple days to get his insulin under control and teach us how to take care of him at home. The past two days have been people coming in and out all day, each teaching on a different aspect of diabetes. We've had tons of questions, been given tons of things to read, and overloaded with information. We started giving him his insulin shots last night, that and figuring out the dosage is the hardest part. It is all dependent on what he is about to eat, so it is different every time. So for someone who hates needles, I was really worried about how he would handle it all. He has to get his blood tested and insulin shots 4-6 times a day. According to him, dad gives much better shots then mom. Anyone free for me to practice on them? Things are going so much better now,and in hindsight, this has been coming on for awhile. Just hearing about all of the symptoms and effects, we are convinced that it has been a few months. They don't know what finally snapped to bring it out, but regardless, it is something he will have to deal with his whole life. If anyone has tricks or suggestions, let me know!!

Parker has every finger bandaged!

13 comments:

Tara Lynn said...

Oh, I am so sorry! :( For you and Parker. I hope you can get everything worked out. I miss seeing his sweet smile in my class on Sundays!

Tara Lynn said...

That last part is totally separate from the actual post, by the way. I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed having him in class last year. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad they caught it so you can make sure he's taken care of. I'm sure you guys will do great taking care of him. He's such a sweet boy; I loved having him in my primary class, although it was a while ago. Parker's breakfast on his tray looks pretty yummy! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Christine said...

Sorry to hear about Parker but he is such a fighter and very brave. You hang in there and we will keep you guys in our prayers. Thanks for the update.

Kimmy said...

So glad you guys are home! You are going to be a master shot giver in no time.

Kristin said...

I am so sorry to hear about Parker! At least it's a treatable disease, and something that will just become second nature to all of you sooner than you think. You guys will be in my prayers.

Bethany said...

So sorry for the new trial, you will learn it all quickly!!! Practice your shots on tomoatoes! That how they teach it.

I have two friends and a cousin that all had lil boys diagnosed about 19months old, they have tons of tips, meal and recipe ideas etc, and two of them live really close by, let me know if you want to talk to them. They have been a great help to eachother! (especailly when they need to borrow something or their boys are sick, it changes their levels) Their boys are both in the first grade now I think.

Arnold Family said...

Amanda what a whirlwind...I'm sorry for both of you! When I went on information overload with Morgyn I just worried about what effected her directly and let all the what if's go to the back burner until I have to worry about them. Take it a day a time. You are an incredible mom!!! What a brave boy Parker is! I'm glad he is doing better :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for all the poking and for you having to watch it all! I'm sure it will take time but soon enough will get into a routine with it all. Abby has a friend with Diabetes (not sure what type. Whenever she comes to play she brings her own blood-sugar monitor machine, pricks herself and tests her blood. Her mom sends a snack for her to eat if her blood sugar is low. She is Parker's age, I'm amazed at how well she does it all. Parker will, too!

Ashlee said...

Not a fun thing to deal with. I'm sorry he has to go through this. Best of luck in figuring everything out!

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

So sorry about Parker.You can practice on me any time. Thank goodness they found out what was wrong, there will always be more done to help people.I always have snacks to share!!

Syal said...

When Aunt Corrine told me. You are in our prayers. At least it is something you can work with even though the load is heavy. Please let us know if we can do anything.

Stephanie said...

Amanda, I'm so sorry to hear that Parker (and your entire family) has to face diabetes. That is a tough one. My neice was diagnosed on Halloween a few years ago. My sister I know loves to network and share info/support, etc with other parents and she would be happy to be a resource if you are interested. I know they opted for the automatic pump, and she could tell you all the reasons why. Please e-mail me if you are and I'll give you her name and number.
stephanieslarsen@yahoo.com
Lots of love.