Friday, September 26, 2008

Johnny Appleseed Day

So it is Johnny Appleseed week at school and Parker brought home a paper at the beginning of the week telling about all of the things he could do on Friday to celebrate. I, of course, thought that if I didn't mention anything about it all week, he would possibily forget. But since Parker is OCD about certain things, that didn't happen. On the way home from school yesterday he said to me: "Mom, did you remember that tomorrow is Johnny Appleseed Day at school?" I replied that I guessed I knew. He says to me: "Do you even know who John Chapman is?"(Insert eye-rolling, and a big "Duh" here.) By this point I am wondering who this child is in my backseat. He rambles off a few facts that I should know, and we came home and looked at the paper. These were the things he "had" to do: Wear old jeans rolled up and an old t-shirt, a rope for a belt, a pan on his head, freckles, bring an old shoe and a shovel, a bag for seeds, and 3 apples. Now I am down with the three apples, that's easy, but trying to compromise on what I think an old t-shirt is and what his opinion is was another story. Finally we turned my version of the shirt inside out so that it would be plain, and he used a brown marker to draw the dirt on it. I haven't had a chance to ask him about his day yet, but hopefully he wasn't the only one dressed up today, or everyone will be wondering who this poor child's mother is!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! It must be a first grade thing because my first grader is all of a sudden an expert on Johnny Appleseed,too, including the fact that he shares her birthday. She didn't have the option to dress up as him, though.

Kimmy said...

He looked awesome! Did he have fun?

Anonymous said...

That's the cutest Johnny Appleseed I've ever seen!

Syal said...

How adorable. Way to go Mom!!!

Rae said...

That sounds so fun. Kids learn so much these days.